Director of Education
Salary: £60,000 to £100,000, DOE
Type: Full time, permanent
After six years of impressive growth, we seek an inspirational English specialist to join the senior leadership team, as Director of Education.
At Bedrock Learning, we believe the scale of opportunity in EdTech is limited only by our imaginations. Learning is a human need, a birthright essential to society. As the role of artificial intelligence and powerful online learning experiences across devices and browsers becomes the norm in education, innovators in this space can look forward to interesting and rewarding new horizons. Education is at the precipice of an EdTech revolution, and Bedrock Learning is helping to fuel this change.
Bedrock Learning is an online literacy and English curriculum for schools and parents. It harnesses the power of adaptive technology to improve literacy outcomes for students from years 3 – 13. Founded by English teachers, it offers a time saving, self-marking, ready-made curriculum for schools and parents. Our suite of learning products has grown significantly since our inception in 2015, and our development roadmap is ambitious and disruptive, with a suite of learning and data analysis products currently under development.
You will lead the entire content development department at Bedrock. Your creativity and passion for Edtech and teaching and learning will shape the future of Bedrock’s products and the team which builds them. Your deep subject knowledge and industry experience will provide leadership to a creative team who build powerful learning content. Innovating together, your team will deliver Project Athena, whilst enhancing our existing product offering.
You will have a deep understanding of how schools work. You understand teaching and learning. You will have experience of scaling a team. You’ll be comfortable with building development sprints and understand front end and backend development workflows. You have built Edtech products and understand this space well. You love technology. You relish solving complicated, technical problems.
Your days will be busy and varied. You’ll be thinking about curriculum design, teaching approaches, assessment innovation, differentiation, adaptation, reporting and product delivery prioritisation. You’ll be meticulously leading on multiple projects, delegating work stacks, and ensuring that high-impact products are built to market-leading standards, on time.
As a senior director, you will take a stake in Bedrock Learning under its EMI scheme. You’ll carve out the product path for Bedrock’s next five years of spectacular growth.
- £60,000-£100,000 DOE
- Options eligibility under the company’s EMI scheme
- Additional holiday available above 33 days (to be taken in school holidays)
- Exciting, high-growth company
- Company pension scheme
- Fresh coffee every day
- Friday lunch
- Dress down Fridays
Skills and experience
- First class degree or MA/MSc/PhD
- PGCE or equivalent teaching qualification
- QTS or postgraduate teaching qualification, such as Masters in Higher Education Teaching
- Experience in curriculum development and design
- Strong understanding of current approaches to teaching and assessment within English
- Minimum of two years of experience teaching English in school, college or university
- Minimum previous seniority equivalent to or just below director level
- Flawless written and verbal communication
- Creative and imaginative thinker
- Lover of words, books, knowledge and learning
- Research orientated
- Familiar and confident with interpreting national assessment data
- Process driven
- Strong project management skills
- Fastidious attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple projects, with many complex moving parts
- Minimum of three years leadership and people management experience
- Proven track record of hitting targets
- Confident with productivity technology, such as JIRA, Confluence, Google Workspace, Office 365, Trello, Todoist, AirTable etc. and unfazed by using new technology
- Passionate about improving outcomes for young people